FAA NEWSLETTER February 2017
IN THIS ISSUE:
- FAA & Folk Alliance International
- FAA Young Artist of the Year
- National Showcase Program
- AGM & Activity at National Folk Festival
- Membership and Insurance
- Folk Alliance International Conference, 15 -19 February Kansas City again hosts this major conference on the Folk circuit. FAA’s partnership with Folk Alliance International has strengthened over the past few years and we are building our presence at this year’s conference, looking for new ways to support Australian acts travelling internationally as well as ways that FAA can promote the Australian Folk Scene and work with international networks. At this year’s international conference FAA will host a trade stand at the expo offering this space to all Australian acts at the event. We have been invited to take part in networking and panel sessions connecting us to a range of organisations and artists and will attend a range showcase concerts and events. This year we will co-host a showcase room, providing all Australian artists in attendance opportunity to perform over the duration of the conference. Three acts who have benefited from the FAA Youth Development Program – Rowena Wise, Oh Pep! and this year’s Young Artist of the Year The Bean Project will showcase at FAI – a terrific representation of our young Australian acts. A new initiative for this year’s international event is the production of a compilation CD featuring past winners of the FAA Young Awards. The CD will be distributed to the diverse range of international delegates including venues managers, festival directors, concert organizers and radio DJ’s. The Australia Acts attending this year’s Conference are Lloyd Spiegel, Damian Howard, Emily Wurramarra, Liam Gerner, Liz Stringer, All our Exes Live in Texas, Gallie, Oh pep!, The Bean Project, Rowena Wise . What a great line up. The FAA showcase will be a room not to be missed …. For more information go to www.folkconference.org
- FAA Young Artist of the Year The FAA Young Artist of the Year application is now open. Festivals, folk clubs and arts organisations are invited to nominate an outstanding youth act, aged between 14-25 years. Successful nominations will be in the running to win development support within the music industry and a chance to perform at premiere folk festivals across Australia. Selected nominees will perform at the FAA Young Artist of the Year Showcase at the National Folk Festival in Canberra, where the winner will be announced. Current winners The Bean Project are on their way to Folk Alliance International Conference in Kansas City, before returning home for a string of dates at Australia’s premiere folk festivals. Entries close Wednesday 1st March. For more details take a look at our web site or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Showcase Program This is a program is hosted across a range of national festivals and enables us to highlight the emerging artists from the National Youth Awards Showcase. Thank you to our festival partners who help make this program possible. Cygnet Folk Festival in Tasmania hosted our first Showcase Concert for this year – with 6 young acts performing to a full house! Our first Industry Workshop for 2017 was also staged at Cygnet with an amazing panel of national and international artists sharing their knowledge and experiences in a range of topics related to the Music and Folk industry. Our next showcase concerts are at Port Fairy Folk Festival, and Blue Mountains Music Festival in March. Come along and catch some of Australia’s best young artists in concert. Our next FAA Industry Workshop will be held at the National Folk Festival, in Canberra. Stay tuned for further panel announcements.
- FAA Annual General Meeting and FAA at National Folk Festival Our partnership with the National Folk Festival continues this year where we will be hosting the FAA Annual General Meeting. You are invited to join us on Sunday 16th April, 4pm -5pm at Spiegel Zelt for the 2017 AGM – the meeting will be followed by entertainment. FAA will host our National Showcase Concert and seek out Young Artist of the Year on Sunday 16th from 12pm – 2.30pm at The Lyric – the concert will profile some of the best young folk talent from across Australia. Come along to our Industry workshop on Saturday 4pm-5pm at Spiegel Zelt. FAA showcase artists will also be featured in the new fringe program – Folk Rising Showcase concerts on Friday 14th & Saturday 15th April. Our March e-news will bring you full details of these activities.
5. Membership and Insurance Full details of FAA Membership and Insurance can be found on our web site http://www.folkalliance.org.au/order-membership/ The Insurances we offer have been designed specifically for Folk Alliance Australia and our Members. With full year cover from your date of purchase, an easy online system, amongst other benefits. You will have direct access to a team of qualified insurance brokers at AON who specialise in the entertainment industry. Also by purchasing insurance through our membership you are helping FAA provide support to our industry.
… Best wishes from The Folk Alliance Australia Team